So I had recently bought raw organic cacao powder and had been meaning to post up the great benefits of this superfood. Not only does it make hot chocolate extra chocolaty compared to the processed ones, but it is full of antioxidents! Now, who wouldn't say no to a cup of hot chocolate full of antioxidants! So these are the benefits which I have read about regarding raw organic cacao powder. Let me know if you know of any which I haven't mentioned! Benefits:
- More antioxident flavonoids than blueberries, red wine, black and green teas! Can you believe that it has 4 times more antioxidants than green tea! I guess its time to ditch the green tea and stock up on cacao powder!
- It promotes cardiovascular health.
- Protect from environmental and metabolic toxins.
- It promotes a positive outlook.
- It raises levels of serotonin, thus acting as an antidepressant and reduce PMS symptoms (YAY!),
- It stimulates the secretion of endorphins, which we all know produces a pleasurable feeling especially after exercise!
- It contains phenylethylamine, which is a mood elevatorand antidepressant, as well as promoting focus and alertness. Interesting fact: Phenylethylamine is also created within the brain, and is released when we are...in Lurrrrrrveee !
- It increases the levels of anandamide, which promotes relaxation and the feeling of wellbeing.
- It also contains essential minerals such as magnesium (balances brain chemistry, builds strong bones, and helps regulate heartbeat and blood pressure), sulfur ( sulfur builds strong nails and hair, promotes beautiful skin, detoxifies the liver, and supports healthy pancreas functioning!), calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium and manganese.
2 teaspoons raw organic cacao powder.
2 teaspoons sugar or sweetner (or to taste).
200 ml milk (I use whole milk, but low fat milk will taste just as great!).
Now just add the cacao powder and sugar, stir in milk and heat in the microwave for 1.30 mins to 2 mins depending on the power of your microwave. Then once its done stir it and you've got a healthy, full of antioxident cup of hot chocolate! Also, although I haven't tried this, you can also heat the milk up first then add the cacao powder and sugar...which ever suits you!!!